SEUL: [Fwd: Addition to commercial port advocacy howto]

I wrote to Scott Draeker and got this response from him.  I'm thinking
of mentioning his company in the CPA howto, with the caveat that I have
no direct experience with them (similar to what I wrote about the TWIN
library).  What do you think--good idea or not?

--
Doug Loss                 It is impossible to imagine Goethe
Data Network Coordinator  or Beethoven being good at billiards

-- BEGIN included message

>Scott,
>
>   Can you tell me any commercial products that you've ported to Linux
>that are currently available?  I'd like to mention your company in my
>howto and to send your name to the companies I'm in contact with, but I
>need to know more about you before I can in good conscience recommend
>you to them.  Thanks.

We're a new company, and hope to be announcing our first project sometime
next week. It's something everyone will hear about.

Loki is coming into this market very early. We'll be the first to sell a
supported, top ten PC game in a retail box to the Linux crowd. If it
works, we think the floodgates will open. But someone has to take the
plunge.

The idea behind an outside porting company is that a publisher can get
the port done without incurring any costs -- and that's a make or break
concern for most of them. One publisher I spoke with won't do ports
simply because it would take them 4 or 5 weeks to get the source in
shape, and they can make more money doing other things with that time.

I think that many of the companies you speak with would be amenable to
our approach, even if they have no interest in Linux or porting their
products in general. In the meantime, as Loki ramps up for business, we'd
appreciate your simply mentioning that we exist, and that outsourcing is
an option.

Best regards,

Scott Draeker
President