Re: Re: SEUL: Target for rough outline for SEUL website

On Sun, Oct 17, 1999 at 11:01:10PM +0000, Doug Loss wrote:
> Understand that I made the proposal to get some debate on the organization of
> the site, and specifically took an extreme position.  Personally, I tend to be a
> content-first, graceful-degradation, Bobby-certified kind of guy when it comes
> to web sites.  From what I hear here from Ian and Roger, that's kind of where
> many of us are.  Frankly, I'm happy that my proposal wasn't eagerly taken to heart.

I think Roman might have been thinking of something more flashy.
But hopefully we can find a way to make something visually
interesting while satisfying the other issues as well.  Stylesheets
and tables have a lot of flexibility without weighing a site down
much at all.

> > The seul-edu website doesn't have a whole lot of content yet, but I think
> > there are a few directions we have open to us.  The application database
> > is definitely one.  Some forums, or maybe web-to-mailing-list gateways...
> > I like the push nature of mailing lists, so I'd hate to rely too terribly
> > much on the web for communication, and I think a lot of other people
> > feel the same way (though others feel quite the contrary...)  Some
> > support options -- HOWTOs (maybe with extra annotation), case studies (!),
> > but also some live people.  Again, mailing lists are perfect here, but
> > the addition of some gateways to the web would be useful too.
> >
> These are good ideas.  I'd like to hear more ideas of what should be on the
> site before we decide just what to do.  Sort of a brainstorming session, where all
> ideas get out and are later culled and combined into something useable.

Here's my initial list:
  * HOWTOs for educators
  * Case studies
  * Software database
  * Schools using Linux (database?)
  * Mailing list info
  * Mail archives
  * Seul-edu member bios
  * Pointers and links (perhaps with the possibility for user-added links?)
  * Mission statement, manifesto
  * Linux propoganda
  * Support page/forum/mailing list
  * IRC info (specific channel, logs?)
  * Developer info -- CVS, docbook, EduML, whatever else comes up...
  * Computer Education news
  * Seul-edu news
  * Curriculum

As to curriculum, I'm thinking of any lesson plans or activities for
teachers on anything related to computers.  It could be a word processing
lesson plan, not particularly attached to any specific word processor.
We should encourage teachers to submit any materials they themselves
make, as well as offering editting of any such materials.

I think it would be nice to offer anyone who submits stuff an
email@seul.org mail alias as well -- it's kind of a way to bring them
into seul and create some potential permanance, while being relatively
easy to do.  Or it could be some web space, or something... anyway,
something to offer.  This isn't the same as free email... if it's free
people won't value it ;-)  But if it requires some sort of participation
it actually means something.  Plus it puts the seul.org name out there.

I'd like seul-edu to give opportunity to anyone who wants to share
something (well, anything at least a little educationally-minded).  I
think that's what SEUL on the whole is at this point.  Allowing this
on a smaller scale would make it even more inclusive.

I'd like also to consider how to help new Linux users to become more a
part of the community.  In part, this is just having some good links,
a mailing list, etc.  Both as something to explore further, and by
having a little of the Linux Community right here (it's hardly like
there's a linuxcommunity.org for them to visit -- this is it).  Then
there's notions like netiquette, which is much more developed among
the net-addicted Linux users than the average teacher.  I'm sure
there's other things -- I think approaching this explicitly would be
helpful.

> I think it's important to remember that for seul-edu at least, we are trying to
> serve two different communities--the Linux community and the educational
> community.  This idea would serve the educational community without specifically
> urging LInux on them, but it wouldn't specifically lock Linux out either, as most
> commercial edsoftware seems to.  I think it's a good idea, especially if we try to
> make the connection of common attitudes toward sharing knowledge that both the
> Linux and educational communities share.

Definately.  If you believe in the intrinsic truth of your cause, living
it is far more convincing than talking about it.  That isn't to say we
shouldn't explain our belief -- but explanation is different from
preaching.

--
< Ian Bicking                 |  bickiia@earlham.edu                >