Re: [tor-relays] Help the Tor Project by running a fast unpublished bridge

I guess, that would require a modification of the path selection on the clients
side. Usually, Tor clients randomly pick relays weighted by bandwidth. Unless
the Chinese relays would provide an enormous amount of bandwidth, they would
barely get selected by clients which leads to a poor user experience.

well compared to now the experience would be better, eventually the reachable Chinese relays would connect it just might take a while on first startup

Perhaps it's better to focus on improved bridge distribution strategies [0] and
hard-to-block transport protocols [1]. Also, that would be a universal solution
which would also help in other countries and not a specific - and probably hard
to maintain - Chinese-only solution.

I think the solution is not a Chinese only solution as it would work anywhere where censorship actually exists

I guess, the firewall operators would notice that quite soon when Chinese relays
would start popping up in the consensus or am I missing something here? And as
soon as something is in the consensus, it's particularly easy to block.

I am not sure how it works but I have a feeling that the firewall operators have difficulties in blocking hosts inside their networks

Aren't these 20 mbit only achievable with domestic traffic? I thought that
international traffic gets throttled a lot in China?

my experience is that I can actually get up to 20 mbit of international traffic, but realistically it is more like 10 mbit of reliable traffic, still ok I feel... the gfw mostly causes latency, inside gfw i can get ping times of around 4ms whereas ping through the VPN is about 250ms to the westcoast of the US.. that ping time has an effect on throughput I guess and also the bandwidth will can vary in what I guess are peak times..

Well if tor could provide a working system of bridges or whatever it would be great, but at the moment the censors are ahead..

Loz