Re: [tor-relays] Help the Tor Project by running a fast unpublished bridge

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:42:08PM +0800, Lorenz Kirchner wrote:
>> Perhaps it's better to focus on improved bridge distribution strategies [0]
>> and
>> hard-to-block transport protocols [1]. Also, that would be a universal
>> solution
>> which would also help in other countries and not a specific - and probably
>> hard
>> to maintain - Chinese-only solution.
>
> But how would tor help people that do not have direct access to outside the
> gfw? actually many 'consumer' ISP in China now seem to have separate NATed
> networks that can't even connect to each other and they seem to route
> international requests if they allow them at all to special third-party
> providers who will handle the filtering (I guess)
>
> I still feel that a kind of 'peering relay' is needed for speed and to allow
> access for those users at all...

At the same time, these "peering relays" would become some sort of choke point.

After all, outside its jurisdiction, the censor (mostly) only has technical
control over the flow of information. Within its jurisdiction, however, we also
have to deal with social and legal control. And I'm afraid that this is harder
to defend against, than technical censorship.

Philipp