Re: [tor-talk] virtual private servers for Tor?

--- On Fri, 8/26/11, coderman <coderman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Rhona Mahony <rmahony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >       What virtual private server software do you
> know works well--or
> > badly--with running a Tor server?
>
> Xen, VMWare work best in bridged mode; alas most providers
> don't
> configure them this way.
>
> OpenVZ is worthless from a networking standpoint and
> Virtuozzo only
> somewhat better.
>
> you'll want to peruse the wiki for vserver tuning
> tricks...

Since such discussions are generally likely to be
highly opinion based, it would help if you gave
technical reasons for your opinions.

Both of your preferred solutions will have much
higher performance overheads than any container
like solution (OpenVz, Vserver, lxc...).  I see
no glaring reason why any of those container
solutions could not be used. I use a Vserver,
on a very low BW link,

-Martin