Re: [tor-talk] virtual private servers for Tor?

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 05:12, coderman <coderman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Martin Fick <mogulguy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Both of your preferred solutions will have much
> higher performance overheads than any container
> like solution (OpenVz, Vserver, lxc...).

concurrent number of open sockets. ip stack tuning parameters. other
technical constraints that make networking on these "light overhead"
container systems unworkable. the very design trade offs they make to
support larger numbers of contains per host directly reduce the
networking performance and capacity of any singular container/vm.

you must have at least X resources to participate in the Tor network
as a router.  these crippled systems don't cut it.

In the past I have run a tor relay that was pushing about 60Mb/sec 24x7. It was running in an OpenVZ container and it had no problems. It was running in a container on my own dedicated server and not a VPS from a hosting company.

In summary if I may clarify for anyone finding this thread by a search -
OpenVZ, and I guess other container technologies, will run tor relays just fine BUT restrictions placed on the VPS by a hosting company may cause problems.

Regards,
Zagbot.