Re: [tor-talk] tor vidalia

From: Adriana Leal <dricay2@xxxxxxxxx>
>Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2011 5:11 PM
>Subject: [tor-talk] tor vidalia
>
>hi,
>I install tor vidalia bundle on my mac.The onion tunrs green.The network I can see the people and flags and saw one green line on the map from europe to u.s.I am in Brasil.The identity icon is always black and when I check if I am on tor network on the tor project site it says no.
>What is wrong? I don't know how to use it. Can you help?
>Thanks,
>Drica
>P.S I want to be conected with U.S _______________________________________________tor-talk mailing listtor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://lists.torproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tor-talk

The black identity icon is always black. It represents an unknown person. It is there for you to click if you want Tor to use all new circuits.

I recommend using the Tor Browser Bundle from https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en instead of the Vidalia bundle, The Tor Browser Bundle includes Firefox Portable and should work right away. They even have one in Portugese.

To get your current setup working, in Firefox go to Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Settings. Select "Manual proxy configuration." Set your HTTP proxy and SSL proxy to 127.0.0.1 Port 8118. Set your SOCKS host to 127.0.0.1 Port 9050. Make sure that SOCKS v5 is selected.

After that, try connecing to the check site again. If that doesn't work, click the New Indentity icon, and try to connect again. If that doesn't work, ask someone that knows more than I do.