Re: [tor-talk] Don't use Google as default search in Tor Browser?

On 11/3/2011 3:53 AM, Advrk Aplmrkt wrote:
On 2 November 2011 20:17, Julian Yon<julian@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

As the GPL is one of the license options, there is no way that any
contract or agreement between Google and Mozilla could possibly be
binding on a third party. Mozilla do impose restrictions on use of their
trademarks but as TBB uses the "Aurora" non-branding that isn't an issue.

Julian
I am inclined to consider the lack of privacy friendly default search
engines in TBB as a bug. Yes removing Google as the default should be
a trivial change.
Could any of the developers comment on this? Thanks.
Thanks Julian,
That may be true. Still leaves Advrk's question why Google search is left in Aurora. My earlier posings are still unanswered (I certainly don't know the answers). A lot of effort is put into helping Tor / TBB users avoid compromising anonymity by using Google searches. Yet, the Google search engine is left in Aurora. It's a pretty simple question - why?

No developers have commented - could be busy now. They do often comment on issues that possibly don't have as much impact on anonymity as this topic.

If no one w/ * real * knowledge, comments on the reason(s) - (meaning, not just someone w/ a good theory) - then some would say, "you have your answer." Google search engine is BIG business and big $.