language support

I mentioned in my last email there were some problems with board
messages. I'd like to deal with this problem more comprehensively,
especially where it comes to language support.

I envision a config file or files for theme/language containing all the
messages to be displayed. To add a language, you just add the messages
to the config file(s). No more hardcoded text!

I don't know much about language support or about working with config
files in c. I have a suggestion for a file format, but I'd really like
to hear from everyone about how this could be done.

Here's my suggestion:

Most messages in XArchon have some changeable text, like the name of
an actor or side. A message could be written with codes for various
names of things, kind of like a date format string.

Examples:
"%a (%t %r)"
"Alas, master, this %c is imprisoned"
"%o cannot be imprisoned at this time"

%a is the selected actor for this turn (the one moving or casting a
spell).
%t is the mode of travel for the selected actor.
%r is the range of the selected actor.
%c is the name of the actor under the cursor.
%o is the opponent's side name.

What do you think?

- Mike
--
We are mad, not only individually, but nationally. We check
manslaughter and isolated murders; but what of war and the much