Re: [freehaven-dev] how to retrieve fragments?

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 12:17:37PM -0500, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> So the solution is to not specify which protocol people should use for
> requests or for checking. So some of them will behave one way, some
> another, and a servnet node can't (for instance) respond to verifiers
> but deny service to clients.

But there's another issue: if we throw away the SK that we used to
sign the fragments after we generate them, then a lost fragment is
lost forever. There is no way to 'regenerate' fragments that have
been lost. This means that documents will get more fragile as time
wears on. Which means we *must* use some sort of active checking
system (which can regenerate a lost copy since it still has an identical
copy) like the buddy system that Ron proposed.

--Roger