Re: gEDA-user: Windows version of gerbv

At 05:41 PM 4/22/2008, you wrote:
>Rick Collins wrote:
> > At 03:25 PM 4/22/2008, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> >> Hi --

> >> My pleasure!  Yer welcome!

> >> Oh oh.  Referencing a NULL pointer somewhere.  I have run valgrind on
> >> gerbv in the past to find and eliminate these types of problems, but
> >> maybe something we changed recently does this.  Or maybe Windows makes
> >> this happen.  Or maybe GTK on Windows is not a happy beast.....

> >> That's the only version for Windows we have.
> >>
> >> Hey -- are you running on a 64 bit machine by any chance?
> >
> > No, I am running on a tired old Athalon 1600.  It sounds like there
> > is no hope for me at this time.
>
>I wouldn't say that.  In fact, I'd guess that your crashing problem
>stems more from some bug in the parser or rendering and not so much
>because you're on windows.  The first step I think is to see if we can
>find a way for someone else to reproduce the crash.  The one drawback to
>a binary distribution is it makes it hard to have you obtain a stack
>trace (which needs things like the debugger and the source code available).

It has been many years since I have worked with Windows programming,
but I do still have a copy of the MS compiler and I am offered to run
the debugger when it crashes.  Can I get anything from that which
would be useful to debug this?

When I say it is hopeless at this time, I mean I don't expect
resolution in the next 24 hours.  I have a problem with my design
files that I need to resolve and it is fairly urgent.

Actually, I spoke with the assembly house today and I am not
convinced that my files are wrong.  Instead I am convinced that there
are *no* rules on how the XYRS data is to be interpreted and the
assembly house has to figure out how to use your data (which they
don't seem to be good at, but they are local therefore good for
prototypes).  I can pull it into a program called BOMbuild and it
looks correct.  If I pull it into a program called SMT Maestro, all
of the chips are rotated 180 degrees.  Obviously these programs work
for others and they can't *both* be wrong.  More likely it is a
matter of setting up the software to use the correct assumptions of
reference and rotation direction.

> > So what does gerbv assume for a frame of reference???  It has to know
> > were 0,0 is, but I expect that comes from the Gerber files.
>
>the data in the RS274-X files (gerber files) has absolute coordinates
>and the x-y data are expected to match up.  So 0,0 in the x-y file is
>defined to be the same as x-y in the RS274-X file(s).
>
> >  I don't
> > know how the ATE operators set it.  It has to know 0 degrees; sounds
> > like pin 1 lower left is the standard.  It has to know the direction
> > of rotation; Bruce Parham has told me that it is counter clockwise by
> > convention (he wrote the XYRS generator used with FreePCB).
> >
> > So how does Gerbv resolve these reference settings?
>
>For clockwise vs counter clockwise, gerbv does the same thing as pcb.
>http://pcb.sourceforge.net/pcb-20080202/pcb.html#Centroid%20File%20Format
>
>Note that pcb has issues with non-90 degree steps (and there have been
>discussions here on good ways to improve the situation), but this should
>define for you what positive rotation means in terms of gerbv.

I am not concerned with non-90 degree rotations.  But I did find from
the Essemtec information that their convention is that pin 1 in the
lower left quadrant is angle 0 with CCW rotations indicated by the
value given (90,180,270).  This is what my file seems to be
using.  PCB uses pin one in the uppper left as the 0 degree angle and
CCW rotations.

I was hoping to use gerbv as a verification of my XYRS
file.  Obviously this won't work.  In fact, everything I can find to
try to verify my file seems to say that all bets are off and they use
what ever they can get away with, if you will.

Even so, I would like to get gerbv working on my machine if
possible.  I don't have a lot of time to work on it, but I am willing
to do what I can.

Rick