Re: gEDA-user: Windows version of gerbv

Rick Collins wrote:
>>> No, I am running on a tired old Athalon 1600.  It sounds like there
>>> is no hope for me at this time.
>> I wouldn't say that.  In fact, I'd guess that your crashing problem
>> stems more from some bug in the parser or rendering and not so much
>> because you're on windows.  The first step I think is to see if we can
>> find a way for someone else to reproduce the crash.  The one drawback to
>> a binary distribution is it makes it hard to have you obtain a stack
>> trace (which needs things like the debugger and the source code available).
>
> It has been many years since I have worked with Windows programming,
> but I do still have a copy of the MS compiler and I am offered to run
> the debugger when it crashes.  Can I get anything from that which
> would be useful to debug this?

I don't know anything at all about the MS compiler.  The windows binary
you downloaded was built under cygwin using gcc.  I wouldn't even know
where to tell you to start with the MS compiler since the entire build
system is set up around having a unix-like environment.

While it isn't super hard to set up cygwin and get all the libs you
need, it is a moderate amount of work.  Let me ask this, if you produce
a small gerber file from your layout tool (what tool are you using btw?)
does it still cause gerbv to crash?  If so, perhaps you could send that
file.  I know it's a pain, but if one of the gerbv developers is able to
have a test case that demonstrates the crash it will be way easier to fix.

If you're not able to send a file, then what I'd want to see from a
debugger is a stack trace when the crash occurs.  Hopefully it will show
something like a null pointer de-reference, string overflow, or use of a
freed pointer or some such thing.

-Dan