Re: gEDA-user: gEDA Symbols

Hello Dj,

http://www.gedasymbols.org/scripts/search.cgi?key=atmel
there's already lots of ATMEL chips there... I'll modify one of them
to add my AT91SAM9261 and send to geda-symbol maintainers.

> BTW, does anybody here know where are the code portion that reads the
> .sym files and shows the symbol itself ?

I have a sym2eps tool here: http://www.gedasymbols.org/user/dj_delorie/

There's a djboxsym there too, which is a symbol creation helper.

> I'm wondering to develop something in this area, maybe some XML-like
> file and a symbol creation program.. What do you guys think about it ?

First, there's a bunch of existing symbol-maker helpers out there, so
make sure you're not doing something that's already been done.

Second, if it hasn't been done, don't let all those other helpers stop
you from making another one.  It seems to be a competition to see how
many different helpers we can come up with :-)
Actually I was thinking about gschem source code itself... where is
the code that it parses the  .sym files... where is the ".sym
language" defined... Maybe an XML-like file would be a lot easier to
understand. And, also, a lot easier to write part generators.

I'll check that on geda-dev list. ;-)

-- Best Regards,

Felipe Balbi
felipebalbi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx