Re: gEDA-user: Re: Flame about XML

On Mar 14, 2007, at 6:07 PM, Levente wrote:
I am totaly agree with Michael's view of the world. I'd add my favourite
phrase on this topic: "some time ago, two 8bit MCUs @1MHz were enough to set a
satellite into its orbit. Nowdays, a 3GHz CPU is not enough to load an office
suit. Something went wrong."

I too am against XML.

While I'm not specifically opposed to XML in general, I agree that it has huge disadvantages...and I agree wholeheartedly, loudly, and enthusiastically with your larger point above.

This is one of the reasons I enjoy embedded systems design so much. It's the only part of the computer world where it is still common behavior to optimize code for every processor cycle and every byte of memory.

Sometime in the 1970s when I was a kid, some moron came up with and publicized the idea that "programmer time is more valuable than processor time", and people latched onto it with a death grip because it catered to their laziness...and nowadays they're taking it to a wholly unreasonable extreme. Not only is the original idea silly (though it does fit with the huge "human ego"), but taking it to such extremes is downright destructive. This is the main reason why we have processors with 3GHz clock rates that get winded just booting their OS.

I can't fix the world, but I can fix my little part of it. The majority of my embedded designs have processors clocked at 8MHz or below...and some are clocked at 32KHz. Yes, kilohertz. Why? Because that's all that's needed in some instances. I optimize it once, and it runs efficiently forever.

I think it can be summed up as simply "take pride in your work". There is NO honor in being able to say "look how little work I did!"

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL