Re: gEDA-user: Re: How to program PAL/GAL?

On Mar 14, 2007, at 6:55 PM, John Griessen wrote:
A GAL programmer isn't difficult at all. High-end, currently
supported professional programmers (big Data I/O units come to mind...I recently replaced my 2900 with a UniSite) are easy to come by on eBay these days

Does a unisite work with windows? Generic serial port? same question for 2900...

It's a standalone device. Well, aside from a terminal. :) That's the main reason I love these Data I/O UniFamily programmers (UniSite, 2900, 3900, etc). Also, no PC-proprietary parallel ports...100% standard RS232 serial I/O. You could run this thing from a PDP-11 if you wanted to. Windows is persona non grata here, and I'm certainly not going to depend on it for something critical to my work like controlling a device programmer.

You just connect an ASCII ANSI terminal (I use a VT420) or a computer running a terminal emulator and interact with it directly. The user interface is very good, fast, and easy to use. If you really want to, it does have a mode that you can set which makes it communicate using a remote control protocol over the serial port, and Data I/O has software for Windows which can control the unit via that protocol.

The 2900 has a floppy drive from which it boots and loads programming algorithms when you select a device. The later models, including the UniSite, optionally have a hard drive which stores all of that. My recently-acquired UniSite has a hard drive and two floppy drives. They all read and write FAT-formatted floppies.

I really can't recommend them highly enough. I've used a bunch of programming systems, and these are, by far, the best I've ever seen in every regard.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL