Re: gEDA-user: Design Flow Roadmap starting point

My imediate use for recessing has to do with ridged flex riged boards.
In one example we have a circuit board that has for example a ridged
section on the right that has a connector, this section has to have one
level of thickness. connected to this ridged is a section of flex, on
the other side of the section of flex these is a section of ridged
material that has a flip chip a resistor and a few capacitors. This
second ridged section has a different thickness then the first. It is
thinner and we achieve this by having few layers. Continuing on we have
another section of flex and then a final section of ridged. This last
section of ridged has yet a third thickness then the other two ridged
sections.

All of this is constructed in layers that are glued and pressed
together. So we cut out different holes out of the different layers
before aligning them and gluing them and pressing them. Problem is that
the pads have to be on different layers. We over came this by pretending
at layout that they were different boards and getting the shop to merge
the gerbers.

I think there is a second reason, (note the i think) in that some very
high frequency devices have pins that stick streight out their sides so
as to avoid bends. But that these devices also would like to be heat
sinked to the ground plane. This is again an I think and I am looking
for an example.

Steve M.