Re: gEDA-user: Design Flow Roadmap starting point

On 3/18/07, C P Tarun <tcpip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > 3.  There should be native support for elongated vias (they
> >     are called "pads" in Eagle) when defining an element.
>
> The way to do this in pcb is to put a pin and a pad in the same place.
> The pin gives you the drill hole, and the pad defines the elongated
> copper shape.

Yes, I've tried this with my footprints. The problem is that you need two
pads (for a traditional double-layer footprint) and you need to edit the
text file of the element to set the numbering of the pads. (Can I set the
pad number through the GUI of PCB the way I can for the pin number
by pressing 'n'?) This approach is error-prone, I felt. When I open up
the text file of the element, I see a list of pads but I don't know which
two pads are associated with pin 1, and so on.

You may want to try one of the many footprint scripts that are around. Making the footprints in a batch using a script is a lot less error prone than one by one in the GUI.

If you are looking for DIPs or SIP headers with rounded pads over pins
you could try my website.

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org