Re: gEDA-user: Design Flow Roadmap starting point

On 3/18/07, C P Tarun <tcpip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You may want to try one of the many footprint scripts that are around.
> Making the footprints in a batch using a script is a lot less error prone
> than one by one in the GUI.
>
> If you are looking for DIPs or SIP headers with rounded pads over pins
> you could try my website.

Actually I've seen some of those scripts and they are lovely for the kind
of things they do. But I need to build much simpler footprints like TO220
devices, but with elongated pads. These are best done by hand, I guess.
I even like TO92 to have elongated pads. I suspect I'm just unsure of my
soldering skills and like larger pads, that's all. :)

A script to place TO220 pads can be pretty simple (see below). The poorly named routine element_add_pin_oval overlays a pin, a rounded pad on the component side and a rounded pad on the solder side.

Adding a simple silkscreen would be one or two more lines of code.

(* jcl *)

use strict; use warnings;

use Pcb_8;

my $Pcb = Pcb_8 -> new(debug => 1);

$Pcb -> element_begin(description => 'TH',
		      output_file =>
		         "tmp/" . 'TO220',
		      dim   => 'mils');

my $pin_num = 1;