Re: gEDA-user: gEDA vs commercial product

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 18:05 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:

> I've no idea what the scope of the IEC standard is. Standard electronic
> components appear to be covered, as do control system components. We'd
> need people familiar in various fields to submit symbols (or
> descriptions). Assuming the requests come from people not directly
> referencing any protected standard, and with the above comments about
> creativity in expressing the symbols - if the open standard contained
> symbols similar to the IEC ones, so be it.

The scope? From the IEC web page.

http://std.iec.ch/iec60617

The following areas are covered in the database:
 1. Conductors and connecting devices
 2. Basic passive components
 3. Semiconductors and electron tubes
 4. Production and conversion of electrical energy
 5. Switchgear, controlgear and protective devices
 6. Measuring instruments, lamps and signalling devices
 7. Telecommunications transmission, switching and peripheral equipment
 8. Architectural and topographical installation plans and diagrams
 9. Binary logic elements
    10. Analogue and hybrid elements

I claim fair use, in using the above text.

Stephen Meier

If the IEC is going to sue me for quoting from their web site, I at
least want them to spell my name correctly.