Re: gEDA-user: gEDA vs commercial product

IANAL but I did find this web site interesting and relevent

http://www.bitlaw.com/copyright/database.html

I believe that the IEC database itself can will not be covered by
copyright since the materials lack originality. The fact that they have
a symbol for resistor and that symbol might be copyrightable but the
concept of having such a symbol isn't.

What propbably protects the IEC is that to get to their  database you
have to have a contract with them and their contract forbids actions
such as producing commercial or free copies.

IEC has no protection from another group declairing a standard and
adding to it as requested by others. Which is what geda should do in
conjuction with other open source hardware groups of interest such as
Open Cores.

After all, the IEC database only has 1750 symbols. Collectevly we should
be able to compile a list of needed symbols and then get say 20 of us to
each do 90 symbols over the course of a year.

Steve Meier