Re: gEDA-user: Universal Turin^H^H^H^H^Hmilling machine

On Saturday 06 November 2004 10:42 pm, Syed Faisal Akber wrote:
> My brother is in the process of building such a machine.  He went out and
> bought a milling lathe, a Galil CNC controller, motors, and I'm not sure
> what else.  He will be putting all of the hardware together.

http://freeandeasy.sourceforge.net/

The "FreeAndEasy" project is interesting in that it is a round/rotating
version, not X/Y, using polar co-ordinates.  Working with rotating discs
removes all problems associated with backlash in linear slides.

"We have built a prototype XY table, but due to its complexity and the
requirement for expensive slideways and ballscrews, we have rejected the XY
table in favour of a design for a rotary table we came up with which has a
much simpler mechanical construction (though the maths is harder!)."

"also developed some Java lathe and miller software to experiment with various
child friendly ways of designing on screen."

EMC (Enhanced Machine Controller) links:
http://www.isd.mel.nist.gov/projects/rcslib/emc_links.html

--
                          http://www.softwaresafety.net/
 http://www.unusualresearch.com/ http://www.bpaddock.com/