gEDA-user: Re: gEDA: PCB: Throw the Bugzilla out of window

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 03:25:07PM +0000, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
> Bugzilla appears to be a shit to me. Responds to an upload of 4MB
> attachment with "invalid filename". "webp.ppm" is probably an invalid
> filename on the filesystem Sourceforge runs on. Tried with Links and Mozilla
> so it doesn't seem to be a problem of browser.

I don't think this is bugzilla, but thats not really the point.

Did you point your browser at the correct local file?  The tracking system
is limited to < 250kB or so which should be _plenty_.  Try useing jpeg or
PNG.

Also _please_ log in.  It will let you attach more to your bug reports rather
than creating multiple new ones.  Also it actually lets some feedback
take place.  If you don't login, then we can't change the status to
feedback and have you get notified that we're requesting feedback on
if a fix worked.

> Actually, it appears to be a shit not only to me:
> http://osnews.com/story.php?news_id=8361
>
> I recommend it to be thrown out of window and replaced with a mailing list. You
> can organize e-mails in mailboxes the same way as bugzilla allows organizing
> bugreports. And, unlikely of Bugzilla, I can receive up to 100MB attachments on
> my mailbox without problems.

Well, a mailing list is _not_ a bug tracking system.  You have no way of
changing state to 'feedback' or 'closed'.  Its nearly as bad as a stack
of post-it notes on my desk in terms of actually tracking things.

> I am not using any bugzilla neither on Ronja nor on Links and am happy.
> Actually, I wouldn't want to use anything like that.

thats your choice for your project.

I won't argue that the SF bug tracker is perfect, but it does provide
a lot of functionality.

-Dan