Re: gEDA-user: PCB can't find new footprints -- SOLVED

Op woensdag 01-10-2008 om 10:51 uur [tijdzone -0400], schreef Ales
Hvezda:
> [snip]
> > gedasuite-0.0.2 is kind of special and obviously has some bugs in this
> > area.  I will try this out myself (add a custom library to pcb) and
> > see what happens.
>
> Okay, with gedasuite-0.0.2, I created a new directory in
> ~/geda-0.0.2/share/pcb/pcblib-newlib called X, put some footprints
> inside of there, and started up pcb.  pcb happily showed me X in the
> pcblib-newlib tree and I was able to place footprints from X.
>
> I also created a directory called ~/.pcb/footprints, modified the
> ~/.pcb/preferences file to set library-newlib to ~/pcb/footprints,
> created a directory called ~/.pcb/footprints/Y, put some footprints
> into Y, and started up pcb.  pcb also happily showed me a toplevel Y
> in the footprint dialog box and I was able to place footprints from Y.
>
> The good news is that geda-0.0.2 doesn't seem to be completely broken
> with regard to footprint libraries, but the bad news is I have no idea
> why this isn't working on your machine. :(
>
> More information as to what you had installed previously and where you
> installed things now, would be helpful.

Well, I tried installing the gEDA suite in a fresh user account, and
that worked as expected. So I went back to my regular user account,
deleted ~/.pcb and ~/.gEDA, and reinstalled it, after which things were
fine. The only thing I still had to do was tell gsch2pcb the footprint
location, but with mr. Clifton's advice, that was easy too.

Yeah, I know, it's the much-despised "Windows way", and it's a bad thing
to do, because this way we don't find out what went wrong the first
time, but I really had to get it working (someone's waiting for a new
pcb, you know how it is ...).

Anyway, thank you all once again for your help and support! And I'm sure
to give something back to OSS real soon (albeit not in the realm of
gEDA).

Thanks again, best regards,

Richard Rasker