Re: gEDA-user: gEDA for terminal strip layout?

On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 13:26 -0700, Joerg wrote:
> Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> Just for the record: I have a lot of CAD experience but gschem is also
> very new to me so I can only tell you what's customary. I am sure gschem
> can do all this but for now someone else would have to explain how.
>

> > I'm new to the electronic circuit design world and just went through
> > the gschem and pcb tutorial on seul.org.  In my case, however, the
> > output is not a PCB, but a terminal strip using DIN rail components;
> > e.g. connector blocks from Phoenix Contact
> > (http://www.phoenixcontact.ca/)
> >
> > My dilemma is: for design purposes I'd like to create a nice simple
> > circuit diagram of the kind created by pschem; however, for actually
> > building the device I need a second diagram showing the terminal blocks
> > and connections between them.  I'm leery of maintaining two separate
> > diagrams and would like to have the second generated semi-automatically
> > from the first, much like the PCB layout is generated from the schematic.
> >

> That is not customary. You normally have three sets of documents:
>
> a. Bare board docs: These are the Gerber, fab instructions etc.

The OP was asking about schematics for industrial cabinet wiring, as far
as I could tell. DIN rail, contactors etc...

There are some useful symbols for power systems designed by Jacek
Plucinski here:

http://jacek-tools.110mb.com/

There isn't any automated layout tool in gEDA designed for cabinet
wiring with physical objects. (I haven't heard of any commercially
either, but that doesn't mean there aren't any).

[snip]

> If you really want to do it (and I also have, showing fiber-optic lines
> on a board that were not part of the electronics) you could draw those
> lines on a secondary layer. CAD systems and probably also gschem have
> several drafting layers. Layers for nets, busses, pins, symbols, plus
> usually some for text and graphics. Use one that is not going to show up
> in the netlist and draw your hookup wiring there.

Gschem doesn't have layers. It does have different style classes for
line colours, but nothing like Autocad etc.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,