Re: gEDA-user: improve PNG output quality

On Oct 21, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Joerg wrote:

> Personally I think this super-duper-quality requirement for scientific
> papers is overblown. I use 300dpi PNG format almost exclusively in my
> business docs and some of those go straight to the board room. Even
> with
> 20:20 vision you can't see any difference to professionally printed
> stuff.

Different culture. Dense text, small print, and tiny graphics are
normal in scientific publication. I just grabbed a conference
proceedings volume at random from the shelf, and in seconds found a
page (14 by 22 cm) with nine separate plots of data from 19
independent data cuts. I'd need a magnifier to see all the details.
Pretty common. High page charges and/or page limits dictate form, and
historically reference libraries didn't want to keep lots of low
resolution paper (but now they're getting rid of paper, and
physically disappearing).

But in business, tiny graphics and fine print signal "you aren't
expected to read this" ;-)

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx