Re: gEDA-user: pcb, howto partition power planes?

Larry Doolittle wrote:

> All modern PCs come with high efficiency DC-DC converters
> built-in.  They just get fed from rectified line voltage.
> Feed them 300VDC (from the aforementioned PF corrected
> front end) and they work much better.  At least that's
> what some server farms have started doing.

Hmmm...   that's getting close to what I've wondered why
you hear nothing of it -- running them on lower DC to match
the power consumers low volts...  Sure, I know, "power distribution voltage drops
are less when you step up, flow low current, then step down."
but a server farm can be a cabinet with a zillion blades nowadays...why
not use a thick DC cable to run clusters?  At least, I have not heard of it yet.

JG
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX