Re: gEDA-user: CPLDs and other high-density logic chips...

On Sunday 03 September 2006 10:43, Mike Jarabek wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 15:57 +1000, John Sheahan wrote:
> > Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:
> > > I am working on a project that, in the end, may require me to utilize
> > > a CPLD just to get the thing working and cost-effective.  But I really
> > > have no knowledge of how to prototype with such beasts.
> > you probably want to choose either Xilinx or Altera for a start.
> > Both make good things.

> Don't discount Lattice either,  they are #3,

I've used a Xilinx, Altera and Lattice.  I prefer the Lattice tools.
There is also Actel.

http://www.latticesemi.com/
http://www.actel.com/

For simple CPLD take a look at the MACH4000x family:
http://www.latticesemi.com/products/cpldspld/ispmach4000bcv.cfm

Depending on your software background you might want
to take a look at some of the generator languages
like HDCaml and Confluence:

http://www.confluent.org/wiki/doku.php

They are functional languages that can generate VHDL, Verilog, or C for you.

> > For example, if you were to pick xilinx, and with what you have
> > mentioned, you might want to drop the cpld,

Xilinx CoolRunner family of parts are still worth looking at if low power
is the overriding goal.

--
 http://www.softwaresafety.net/ http://www.designer-iii.com/
                 http://www.unusualresearch.com/