Re: gEDA-user: CPLDs and other high-density logic chips...

On Sunday 03 September 2006 11:53, Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:

> The circuit I'm working on is a 5V circuit, however -- most of the
> CPLDs and FPGAs I've seen are 3.3V or lower.  Do you have any
> recommendations on voltage level converter chips?

The Lattice MACH 4000 family of parts are five volt compliant.
I've used them powered by 3V hooked up to a system running
5V for most everything else.  You just have to add lots of pull up resistors.

> Also, what kind of costs (ballpark) are we looking at for the FPGAs?

The effort put into the learning and using the tools is a more important
consideration that the part cost them-self, unless you are building a large
quantity of your device.  Your time has value.

I'm paying about $10 for the MACH4128Z CPLD in the 144 pin package.
Lattice claims to have the lowest costs FPGAs but I've not used them yet.

> How hacker-friendly are they?

As there are no open source fitters for anyones parts, I don't really
consider them hacker-friendly.