Re: gEDA-user: Where do "models" or ".cir" files live?

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 15:59 -0400, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> Ummm, were these models distributed with gEDA?  I don't think
> so . . . .     The only SPICE models we have distributed are
> associated with some of my examples in the doc/examples directory.

Not distributed with gEDA, but alongside on the MDP resource CD.

> Generally, SPICE models of various components are vendor proprietary.
> They give them away on the web for free, but I don't think you're
> really supposed to redistribute them in the same spirit as GNU
> software.

Just looked... they are all Copyright Analog Devices, Inc.. appart from
one, which is Precision Monolithics, Inc.

It is possible that some agreement was reached with the vendors, there
are certainly other items on the CD which are of commercial origin (and
we have the appropriate license agreements to distribute them)

> Check the models and see if there are any copyright statements in
> them.  Likely there are.  IN that case, we have no business
> distributing them with the rest of gEDA unless we get some kind of
> wavier from the companies which created them.

I'll make sure that we already have, or can obtain, permission to
re-distribute them.

I'm already disparing about the quality of the gschem symbols in the MDP
library, and I'm keen that most of those don't get distributed on the
CD. If there is any doubt about the models, they'll get left out.

Peter Clifton