Re: gEDA-user: Where do "models" or ".cir" files live?

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006, Peter Clifton wrote:
On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 15:59 -0400, Stuart Brorson wrote:
Ummm, were these models distributed with gEDA?  I don't think
so . . . .     The only SPICE models we have distributed are
associated with some of my examples in the doc/examples directory.

Not distributed with gEDA, but alongside on the MDP resource CD.

Generally, SPICE models of various components are vendor proprietary.
They give them away on the web for free, but I don't think you're
really supposed to redistribute them in the same spirit as GNU
software.

Just looked... they are all Copyright Analog Devices, Inc.. appart from one, which is Precision Monolithics, Inc.

It is possible that some agreement was reached with the vendors, there
are certainly other items on the CD which are of commercial origin (and
we have the appropriate license agreements to distribute them)

It's more likely that a commercial enterprise will licence SPICE models to a brand-name university's educational CD than to an open-source software project run by a diffuse band of hobbiests. Therefore, I conclude that the gEDA project should have nothing to do with distributing vendor SPICE models. But I do think it a good idea for you to put any models you can licence on your CD since it is part of your mission to educate students.

Check the models and see if there are any copyright statements in
them.  Likely there are.  IN that case, we have no business
distributing them with the rest of gEDA unless we get some kind of
wavier from the companies which created them.

I'll make sure that we already have, or can obtain, permission to re-distribute them.

Great!

As for your original question:  Where to put the SPICE models in the
CD directories?  It's really up to you.  However, here's what I do at
home:

1.  Usually, I have project-specific SPICE models.  In that case, I
just put them into my project directory, in a subdirectory.

2.  If I want to share them amongst many projects, I put them in
${GEDA_INSTALL_DIRECTORY}/share/models or someplace like that.

I'm already disparing about the quality of the gschem symbols in the MDP
library, and I'm keen that most of those don't get distributed on the
CD. If there is any doubt about the models, they'll get left out.

What's wrong with the symbols?

Stuart