Re: gEDA-user: new SuSE rpm packages for gEDA related programs

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006, Werner Hoch wrote:

ng-spice-rework:
----------------
I've not enabled the xspice code.
If you think it should be enabled by default, please let me know.

Werner,

Thanks for doing all this! FWIW, the folks at Fedora Extras are also
creating RPMs for Fedora distros.  Are SuSE RPMs and Fedora RPMs the
same?

W.R.T. XSpice, yes I think you should enable the XSpice stuff by
default.  The devil is in the details, however.

The XSpice stuff
includes the binary file spice2poly.cm, which implements the ability
of ngspice to read models with the POLY construct. The POLY construct
appears very frequently in vendor SPICE models, and is therefore
pretty important.  Without it, we will be inundated by hordes of
newbies who try to run ngspice on vendor netlists, only to have the
program error out when it tries to deal with a POLY.

The problem is that the spice2poly.cm binary isn't currently built by
the Makefile.  Rather, it appears that ngspice simply distributes a
binary built long ago -- perhaps, even, by me.  This binary
works for 32 bit x86 machines running Linux, but will likely choke a
PPC or a 64 bit system.  I don't know this for sure, but would bet
that it will happen.

The real fix is to rebuild the program for each machine architecture.
This means that the Makefiles must be fixed to generate binaries from
code models.  This may require a non-GNU pre-processor; I have become
hazy on the details.  Fixing this situation is an open issue, and
would profit from some volunteers working on it.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest you *do* --enable-xspice for 32 bit x86 RPMs,
but if you are also creating PPC and 64 bit RPMs, don't include XSpice
for them.

I'm not sure whether the name should be "ngspice version rework17" instead of "ng-spice-rework version 17".

Use ng-spice-rework version 17. The name of the desired package is "ng-spice-rework", and it is at version 17.

Stuart