Re: gEDA-user: challenge board ALMOST works

On 9/13/06, Dan McMahill <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
John Luciani wrote:
> On 9/12/06, Dan McMahill <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> John Luciani wrote:

>> > To be able to play low notes I believe you want to avoid locking since
>> > when you lock the output of the mixer will be at 0Hz.
>>
>> I thought they were supposed to injection lock at the very low end to
>> avoid a wierd tone when you're away from it and also to help avoid
>> wrapping back to higher pitches  as you move further away.  I'll have to
>> dig out my theremin folder if I can find it.
>

> As long as the frequency of the variable oscillator is very close to
> the frequency
> of the fixed oscillator it shouldn't matter if they injection lock. If
> they lock
> at the low end that would be nice. Depending on the layout and the
> design they
> probably do lock. After this discussion I will have to go my cellar and
> checkout
> the low-end performance ;-)
>
> If you find anything on this, in your theremin folder, please send it
> along.
>
>> Of course you've built one and I haven't which counts for a lot!
>

> Actually one of my kids did a PCB layout of the Moog Etherwave. I had some
> space on a PCB panel so I decided to quickly convert it to SMD. I also
> added a Maxim
> amp and a switching supply (and a case shaped like an eighth-note).
>
> I haven't played with it much. For me it is an awkward interface. If I
> want to control
> the pitch of sinewaves I would rather play my MiniMoog ;-)

Here we go... Do you have the manual for the etherwave? Last paragraph of the left column of page 6. Basically the 2 caps which combine the fixed frequency oscillator and the variable frequency oscillator for the pitch circuit not only combine the signals into the mixer, they also couple the oscillators so that they will injection lock to get a stable "zero beat" when you step away from the theremin.

You are right. I do not have the Etherwave manual but the Bob Moog article (Electronic Musician Feb96) states that the oscillators should be separate so that they won't couple but that the capacitiors will lightly couple them so that they synchronize at low beat frequencies.

Thanks.

Is this injection lock primarily used to prevent a small amount of
oscillator drift from producing an audible tone at the low end or is
it just to increase the change in capacitance
required to get an audible tone? The pitch oscillator is tuned to apx. 200KHz so
a 0.01% drift (20Hz) would produce an audible tone.

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org