Re: gEDA-user: challenge board ALMOST works

John Luciani wrote:

Here we go...  Do you have the manual for the etherwave?  Last paragraph
of the left column of page 6.  Basically the 2 caps which combine the
fixed frequency oscillator and the variable frequency oscillator for the
pitch circuit not only combine the signals into the mixer, they also
couple the oscillators so that they will injection lock to get a stable
"zero beat" when you step away from the theremin.

You are right. I do not have the Etherwave manual but the Bob Moog
article (Electronic Musician Feb96) states that the oscillators should
be separate so that they won't couple but that the capacitiors will
lightly couple them so that they synchronize at low beat frequencies.

Thanks.

Is this injection lock primarily used to prevent a small amount of
oscillator drift from producing an audible tone at the low end or is
it just to increase the change in capacitance
required to get an audible tone? The pitch oscillator is tuned to apx. 200KHz so
a 0.01% drift (20Hz) would produce an audible tone.

I think that avoiding audible tones is exactly what this is for. You do have to be careful because the larger the coupling, the wider the injection locking range (in freq.) is. So you want enough to avoid audible tones when you step away from the theremin but not so much that you can't actually play low frequency notes.

-Dan