gEDA-user: free-open workarounds similar to SolidWorks

evan foss wrote:
> Open cascade is just free as in beer. The license is really not what
> you would think.

OK then.  I looked at the GCAM program site without installing it yet.
Seems to have a 3D wireframe view of "hand made" macros done via GUI to
create sets of RS-274 G codes.  The G code macros it will make are about
cutting simple circle or rectangle shapes, then outputting a series of
moves that will cut a global depth of cut setting and repeat while
necessary.  I did not see anything generating spline curves yet.

I cannot find any import export function yet.

So far, Blender -->python scripts to create G codes --> GCAM setup
details added to G codes --> machining job shop  is the most reasonable
flow I have found to make real parts with.  It might be possible to go
from blender --> STL --??--> IGES, but I've not found how yet.

GCAM checked G codes are farther along than an IGES file, so your
charges at the machine shop would be less with them.

Whether GCAM would show in 3D a set of G codes that follow a spline
curved surface from Blender is an interesting question to answer...