Re: gEDA-user: free-open workarounds similar to SolidWorks

Hey John,

I spoke to a local vocational high school's drafting department who couldn't wait to get their hands on this project.  I gave them the measurements of my backrest and they are running with this.  It gives their students a chance to work on a real project, to help the disabled and to use the more advanced features of their software.  I couldn't beat the pice since it's free!  Plus this frees me up to work on the code for my temp control chip.

Thanks for digging into this and if you continue to explore this I'd be interested to know what you find out.

Rob

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 3:24 PM, John Griessen <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
evan foss wrote:
> Open cascade is just free as in beer. The license is really not what
> you would think.

OK then.  I looked at the GCAM program site without installing it yet.
Seems to have a 3D wireframe view of "hand made" macros done via GUI to
create sets of RS-274 G codes.  The G code macros it will make are about
cutting simple circle or rectangle shapes, then outputting a series of
moves that will cut a global depth of cut setting and repeat while
necessary.  I did not see anything generating spline curves yet.

I cannot find any import export function yet.

So far, Blender -->python scripts to create G codes --> GCAM setup
details added to G codes --> machining job shop  is the most reasonable
flow I have found to make real parts with.  It might be possible to go
from blender --> STL --??--> IGES, but I've not found how yet.

GCAM checked G codes are farther along than an IGES file, so your
charges at the machine shop would be less with them.

Whether GCAM would show in 3D a set of G codes that follow a spline
curved surface from Blender is an interesting question to answer...