gEDA-user: Size of symbols on gschem

I am fairly new to gEDA, having only designed a couple of boards so far, so please excuse my relative lack of knowledge.

One of my frustrations is that designs with more than a few parts the size of the area gschem leaves me with is too small.  If I set to E size for example I would have expected a much larger workspace and relatively smaller symbols but gschem does not seem to work that way.

I am trying to either get a bigger page or smaller symbols on gschem.  I cannot seem to do this using gschem itself, so my next attempt is to define smaller symbols.  This works great for the drawing portion of the symbols using text input to tragesym but it with these smaller symbols the fonts are then too large.  Editing the symbol using gschem allows me to only change the text size on the description of the part, not on the pins or the reference designator.  A search for parameters to set these font sizes in tragesym has been fruitless.

I have hand edited the .sym file to change these font sizes and that works great but even for only new parts this is fairly tedious.  I would not even want to think of doing it for the libraries already installed.

I am considering writing a Perl program to walk the library directories and do a mass resizing of all symbols but it strikes me there has to be a better way to get more symbols on a page.

Can you tell me a better way?

Steve