Re: gEDA-user: Driving the netlist from PCB (instead of gschem)

> I prefer to open both tools at once and make the same changes in
> both tools at the same time.

I do something similar.  If I want to swap in pcb, I update the
schematic, regenerate the netlist, and import it.  Then the rats know
what I *want* rather than trying to play catch-up.  Now, if we could
use DBUS to make that a one-click transfer...

> Personally, I favor the idea of a unified data base for both layout
> and schematic.  So far no one seems to agree with this idea.

It's been tossed around before, but there are drawbacks.  For example,
gschem supports more backends than just pcb, so carrying around pcb's
overhead when you won't use pcb is a waste.  Also, layouts and
schematics have different needs for what is stored (gschem doesn't
need to save line clearance info, via drill sizes, etc).

Still, the pcb file format is very old and probably due for a
redesign.  I suspect if I ever find time to redo the internal layer
infrastructure, I might end up changing it for that.