Re: gEDA-user: Driving the netlist from PCB (instead of gschem)

> I guess I am thinking in terms of having partially routed a net and
> found that to continue, it is better to swap a pin at the unrouted
> end. Are you saying that you can see the problem without routing?

Yes, sometimes.  For example, running 24 chip select lines out to
drivers, you can look at an unrouted rats nest and decide what needs
swapping.

> If you just update the schematic and import the new net list,
> doesn't that cause the trace for that net to be ripped up?

It doesn't rip it up, but it does show up as a short.

> Sure, you can say it's a waste, but wasted what, disk space?

Support in the applications for data and syntax they won't be using.

> If a format such as XML is adopted, then I think that has lots of
> overhead, but likely without much impact really.

We've discussed XML before, and chose not to use it due to the uneeded
complexity.  Some other structured text format may be used though.

> it appears that every open source layout and schematic tool has to
> reinvent the file format wheel.

We don't *have* to.  We *choose* to.  Each designer has different
functionality they're trying to encapsulate, and come at it from a
different direction.  That drives the choices.