Re: [George.Danezis@cl.cam.ac.uk: [minion-cvs] How do you test decoding?]

George Danezis <George.Danezis@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> I am in the process of tiding up my scripts, documenting and adding
> regression tests. I wondered: how do you test for the fact that a
> message encoded using mixminion SURBs, will be decodable?
>
> Given the mixminion interface this is quite hard. It requires
> actually sending the message out in the network, decrypted layer by
> layer, and then received back and tested. Is there any way I can
> generate the message encoded using a SURB, as it will look when
> delivered by the final mix?

There isn't any way to do this from the command line right now.  The
interface that occurs to me is to add the following interfaces:

  1. A way to generate a packet and save it in a file without actually
     sending it.
     (e.g. mixminion queue -i message -t address -o pkt_file)
  2. A way to send a packet stored in a file.
     (e.g. mixminion flush pkt_file)
  3. A way to simulate the action of a server on a single packet, for
     testing purposes:
     (e.g. mixminion server-test-process -i pkt_file -o pkt_file)

Items 1 and 2 are potentially useful; 3 seems questionable.

(There is no way, given only a message and a SURB, to get a view of
"the message as it will look when finally received."  To know that,
you would have to know the keys used in the SURB, and to know _that_,
you would have to have the private keys for the servers in the SURB's
path.)

yrs,
--
Nick Mathewson