Re: Weird behavior of my server

I was able to install a tor server in a Ubuntu VMWare player, and experienced the same problem you're having with the "Cannot bind to port 443"

Here is the reason why :

10. If your computer isn't running a webserver, please consider changing your ORPort to 443 and your DirPort to 80. Many Tor users are stuck behind firewalls that only let them browse the web, and this change will let them reach your Tor server. Win32 servers can simply change their ORPort and DirPort directly in their torrc and restart Tor. OS X or Unix servers can't bind directly to these ports (since they don't run as root), so they will need to set up some sort of port forwarding so connections can reach their Tor server. If you are using ports 80 and 443 already but still want to help out, other useful ports are 22, 110, and 143.

Here are the commands to run in a terminal to enable the right port forwarding :using sudo

Forward port 443 to 9090
iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp -i eth0 --dport 443 -j DNAT --to $IP:9090
iptables -A OUTPUT -t nat -p tcp --dport 443 -j DNAT --to $IP:9090

Forward port 80 to 9091
iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to $IP:9091
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW --dport 80 -i eth0 -j ACCEPT

After issuing these commands, start you tor server, and it should work.

I am a beginner with linux as well, i found out these commands by experiencing all sort of things, they work for me, except that my dirport is not visible, and i don't know why !

Yan