Re: [tor-talk] Tor's reputation problem with pedo, some easy steps the community could take

On 04/29/2013 11:38 PM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:

> On 4/29/2013 4:18 PM, mirimir wrote:
>> On 04/29/2013 08:29 PM, Chris Patti wrote:
>>
>>> OK, you're right.  That's a bad idea - what about clearly labeling
>>> the pedo
>>> sites as pedo sites?
>> Maybe Tor-optimized-Firefox needs a default "safe browsing" plugin.
>>
>> Also, maybe at least some pedo, etc .onion sites would voluntarily label
>> themselves. Except for the trolls, I can't imagine why sites would want
>> attention from those who despise them.
>>
> I'm not quite sure for whom the protection from undesirable sites is
> mainly intended - children / teens, using Tor?

I was thinking mostly about protecting Tor ;)

> If I do a search w/ StartPage, Ixquick or even Google, if an unsavory
> result appears, I just don't click it.  I've also never been redirected
> from say, Fidelity Investments or EFF.org, to a porn or pedo site.

It's not so straightforward with .onion sites, especially on forums and
wikis. There's considerable rickrolling on some sites.

> Is it a huge issue to avoid these sites, or is it just the idea that
> some using Tor can access these sites?

For some, it apparently is, no?

> There are plenty of other anonymous proxies, even daisy chaining them,
> or first using another site that masks IPs, before using proxies; using
> public hotspots while wearing a ski mask, that could be used to access
> illegal sites / material.  Tor isn't the only anonymity game in town.

Yes, this is a perennial issue for all systems that provide anonymity
and takedown-resistant hosting. But that doesn't make it less of an
issue for the Tor Project, and for exit-relay operators in particular.