Re: [tor-talk] Illegal Activity As A Metric of Tor Security and Anonymity

On 6/29/14, Mark McCarron <mark.mccarron@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I understand everyone's feelings here and tempers can run hot.  Firstly, not

I don't know that you do. In fact you continue to generalise
"everyone's", which has to be false. I haven't seen much in the way of
tempers in this thread, just patient pointing out flaws in assertions
you have made.

> Right now we have a situation where National Security concerns are trumping
> everything and that is certainly not the basis for a free world.  I don't
> know about the rest of you, but I'd rather face the enemy than hide like a
> coward jumping at every shadow.  I grew up with terrorism and the cold war,
> with the very distinct possibility of dying.  I rather run the risk of been
> blown to pieces, or shot, than support a stasi-like spy state that will
> protect me.  Throwing away freedom to safe-guard against possible threats is
> no way to go through life, in the end, it means you have lost your nation.
> It means you did the enemy's work, which is by any measure a form treason.

I agree with your sentiment. Wholeheartedly.

> Anyway, we have a simple solution to this global view and hidden services.

You did it again! Generalisation/ assertion. Call it hand-waving, call
it whatever.

> We just implement a distributed hosting solution within the Tor system and
> end-to-end visibility is gone.

So simple! Why didn't _I_ think of it?!

You assume simplicity. You assume possible solution exists! (It may,
but you sure haven't done a damn thing to improve the situation - no,
baseless moaning does not help!)

You _are_ hand-waving your assertions at the guys who have been trying
to solve these problems, and solving some of them, over many years
now.

You have not demonstrated that you have read even _one_ of the freehaven papers.

You point your finger at "a simple solution" as though no one has
thought of "that particular solution" before, and what? you expect
everyone to collectively slap their foreheads and say "oh brother
Mark, thank you for your omniscient wisdom and guidance"!

You are coming across as:
- naive

- unwilling to acknowledge responses to your statements

- unwilling to read/ learn what you need to to contribute meaningfully
to the discussion

- someone who makes endless unfounded and fact-less assertions

- targetting people, some of whom have significant _actual_ experience
implementing and researching this stuff over many years

Overall, this is very disrespectful! The responses to you have been
humorous, and sincere. You couldn't ask for more dignified responses.

The conclusions about you are getting pretty hard to fault at this stage.

I suggest you save some dignity and demonstrate a genuine attempt to
contribute meaningfully in any way.

Zenaan