Re: [pygame] Re: pygame with SDL2 proposal

I played around with pygame on top of SDL2 a long while back. In case it helps, I thought I'd talk about the issues I had.

  • Lack of support for drawing primitives. For me as an instructor, drawing primitives are important. But SDL2 did not support drawing a 3 pixel wide diagonal line. Everything had to be 1 pixel wide unless you did that glx add-on.
  • glx support was an either/or thing. If I did want to draw a wide line, I could use glx or whatever they called it. But that was a completely different surface than what textures and sprites used. So I couldn't combine the two.
  • There wasn't a large community built around SDL2
Eventually, I decided to go with OpenGL to do my graphics, and piggy-back on Pyglet for event management with the Arcade library.

Question: Has SDL2 progressed so that you can draw a sprite with texture and a thick diagonal line on the same screen?

Breaking away from the PyGame API let me avoid teaching pygame oddities. Specifically:
  • Handling of transparent backgrounds on images. Pygame requires extra code for this
  • Easily scaling graphics
  • Easily rotating graphics and drawing primitives
  • Not having the graphics coordinates reversed
  • Easy 'scrolling' of games by showing only part of a larger canvas to draw on
  • Pygame naming was a bit inconsistent
Problems I'm still dealing with:
  • Hassle of cross-platform sound support.
  • GPU rendering is SLOW if you don't batch everything up. Pygame is faster at drawing primitives than OpenGL is, unless you learn to offload the drawing to the GPU. This is fine if you draw all the sprites at once, but if you draw shapes or sprites individually it is a huge performance hit. So you have to teach that concept if you want any performance in your games at all.
I'm not entirely sure that SDL2 is the best path for PyGame.

-- As for keeping or changing the API --

The "arcade" library examples here:

http://arcade.academy/examples/index.html

Are very similar to the pygame examples here:

http://programarcadegames.com/index.php?chapter=example_code

But the API is simpler, and I think the code is easier for a beginner. I'd think carefully if keeping the API is a plus or a minus. I don't know what is best, but I took my bet by doing a new API.

Paul Vincent Craven