Re: [school-discuss] About Open Source in European Union

>  I hope MimerDesk is goung to apply!  Everyone, if you could please alert
>  any European project leaders you know about this.  It sounds as though
>  this is directed specifically at our type of groups; we should try to
>  see that they get a great response!

We are applying as part of a bigger eLearning project here in Finland. There
is a research paper under development that describes what eLearning standards
exist, what to choose and what to develop in order to build a good eLearning
strategy. I have a feeling that Open Source technologies will be considered
as the best alternatives from an educational point of view. We propably take
this research paper when it is ready as one of the guidelines for mimerdesk
2.0 development (build from scratch).

Current version of MimerDesk is just a prototype. The development has been
learning by doing in practice. We have now learned a lot about what it could
be and what standards and technologies to use. MimerDesk 2.0 aims to be the
result of this knowledge.

There is a good reason why European Open Source projects should atleast send
an application to EU commission eventhough it doesn't result into any funding
or such: EU wants to support open technologies and when they know about the
existing ones and organizations like SchoolForge it's only a good thing for
the Open Source community. Through the effort to get more publicity we are in
a much better situation.

I'm preparing to translate SchoolForge press release to Finnish when I have
the time and send it to local news papers, educational news papers and IT
news papers. Are there any swedish people on the list? I'd like to see a
swedish translation too!

Oh and the info where to send applications... I'm trying to get the requested
information and post it here. I don't have it right now because I'm not the
one sending the application.

Best regards,

Teemu Arina
MimerDesk.org