[school-discuss] translations

On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 10:59:31AM +0900, Micheal Cooper wrote:
> would PO files  be a good solution for a manual?

gettext (.po) format is string-oriented, and manuals usually
aren't.

I can ask a few professional docs translators on that but so far
all that I know is that there are Computer Aided Translation
(CAT) tools, including translation cache facilities, and plain
old human brain to re-align docs to cultural and otherwise
differing semantics, not just translate texts.

Frankly I don't see how exactly can .po-related tools help there.

PS: for maintaining translations, there are tools like xmldiff
and homegrown implementations in some CMSes (WackoWiki and
TYPO3 come to mind).  Not that it's advised to waste time on
anything but getting the damned translation done with that
deadline, still in case there will be better time to think
it over after you're done with this one.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 ----       Oct 26--27, Kiev, Ukraine: