[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: FVWM2 change
Rick Jones wrote:
> What I really need at this point is some input on the aspects of a GUI
> that everyone thinks is important in making the decision. Such as
> memory useage, disk useage, first impression, versatility,
> configureability, etc. I would like to get some examples with each
> catagory as well.
Do you mean window managers here or are you talking
of other GUI stuff as well ?
In the case of window managers maybe we should
compile a list to compare features.
- window look impression
- configurability of look
- different border styles ?
- color schemes ?
- what focus policies does it support ?
- virtual desktop support ?
- pager support (like fvwm)
- support for disjoint workspaces (à la KFM) ?
- application launching
- root menu ?
- button bar and/or panel ?
- GUI "control panel" ?
- All features/subset ? Easy to use ?
- direct manipulation config (e.g. with DnD) ?
- color usage (does it work well with few colors ?)
- memory footprint
- startup time (with/without pixmaps)
- speed (responsiveness)
> Keep in mind that, reguardless of your personal favorites, the targeted
> users are those that know little or nothing about the *nix GUI and are
> likely to frown on having to edit various config files, after reading
> the man pages, to get their GUI to their own taste.