Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Elementry

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 09:49:12AM -0400, Matt Jezorek wrote:
<snip>
> Now I know vi is a very simple editor but to drop someone from
> GUI like windows to vi is a little harsh I think.

Hehe... no.  "Pico" is a simple editor.  VI has two modes... one where
all it does is beep at you, and the other where it deletes all your
text. ;)

Then there's Emacs.  I'd still like to GIMP up a photo of a hand with
10 or 12 fingers. ;)  ("ALT CTRL META ESCAPE SHIFT PERCENT UPSIDEDOWN
GOAT SACRIFICE Z")

> The way we are planning it is to try to get rid of the command line
> utilities and go with GUI so that they dont get scared or intimidated by the
> computer.

Things like Gedit or Kedit certainly make the Linix initiates I've met
(who of course come from the Windows camp) happy.

-bill!