Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Elementry

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 10:06:06 -0400
"elawson" <elawson@lawson-philpot.com> wrote:

> > Now I know vi is a very simple editor but to drop someone from
> > GUI like windows to vi is a little harsh I think.
> >
> Especially when there are several GUI editors with which a windows suer
> should feel very comfortable immediately.

<RANT>
Very funny.
First, Big Evil Corporations put Windows on the kids' home computers.

Then, we need to make a smooth transition/desintoxication for them, and
have them use low-end GUI-based editors like Gedit and Kwrite.

And then, all we can wish for is for them to upgrade to a *real* text
editor when they grow older (well, I meant Emacs).

First, they'll stick to the GUI, but if they want to get some work done,
they'll soon realize that they have to switch to text mode.

So here we go: from DOS to Windows to unix-based GUI to *real computer*
text-mode UI. We ought to charge Microsoft for teaching kids something
they have to un-learn before learning how to use a computer.

(please don't flame me because I'm using a GUI mail client. I'm at work,
you know, and you can't always install what software you like, and the
admins, you know...)
</RANT>
--
Thomas Tempé

<well, this is RANT too>
Graphical user interfaces are meant to hide the functionalities
(or lack thereof) of programs, so programmers don't have to write
documentation, and users don't need to know what they are using.
</RANT>