Re: [seul-edu] Consolidated gradebook effort

Hi Hilaire -

All I really have to show at this point is a preliminary Glade file -
you can grab it at http://lager.dyndns.org/gradebook/gradebook.glade.gz
- and even that's not complete.  I've just been brainstorming a lot.  I
have a source tree that just builds the GUI, and adds the GTKsheet to
one of the notebooks (see below).  Not much, I'm afraid.

Here's the basic idea though - a two-paned application, with a tree on
the left side.  The tree hierarchy will follow the session/course/class
hierarchy, i.e.

Top
 Fall 1999
   Freshman English
     Period 1
     Period 2
   Intro to Brit Lit
     Period 3
     Period 4

Etc...

When the user selects part of the tree, the right pane changes to allow
the next level of the tree to be edited - for instance, selecting
"Freshman English" lists all of the class names, and allows the user to
add, edit, or delete any of the Freshman English classes.

When you select an actual class, you get a notebook with a few tabs -
one to edit students, one to edit tasks, one which contains a
spreadsheet of Students/Grades (this is where the grade entry takes
place - search Freshmeat for "GtkExtra" to get the widget) and a class
option tab.

That's about it for now.  :)  I'm trying to figure out how to handle the
data structures - I'd like to leave the parsed XML tree in place if
possible, but I'm not sure that's the best way to do it...

Regarding Python, I'm reluctant to add another unknown to the equation
(for me, anyway... I'm just gaining C proficiency, and learning another
language sounds daunting...) but that would certainly be an option.
However, I think this could be done in such a way that a C/GTK program
could be ported to Windows with little trouble.  GTK 1.3 has native
Win32 support, and there are snapshots available.

I agree that the GUI should be distinct from the actual engines... I had
planned to do it that way.

My main sticking point is deciding on data structures to use, and how to
handle the XML parsing with libXML.

Also, trying to reconcile the features I need with how to implement them
in EduML - see my prior post on that (managing different grading
schemes, for example).

-Eric