Another introduction (2)

I'm taking this opportunity to finally introduce myself after three
months of being in  this list.  I'm a computer engineering major whose
working as an I.T. consultant for Veritas Parochial School, Paranaque
city (offers pre-school to high school education).

I discovered this list while researching about Linux in education on the
web.  This was  during preparation for my talk at the first Linux
Conference last June at Makati city, Philippines.  That and another talk
I'm scheduled to give on July 27 to computer teachers and some school
administrators of the Manila Archdiocese Parochial School Association
has and is keeping me busy all these time.  I hope to convince them to
at least stay tune with developments in Linux as a viable desktop
platform for education.

After this month, I'll take a breather from advocacy and continue to
experiment with Tcl-Tk.  I share this list's concern about developing an
authoring tool easy enough for teachers' use.  I'll see if I could come
up with something using Visual Tcl.  I'm interested in the EDUML project
since I believe XML is important in apps.

I'm happy that people on this list see Linux as a tool supporting
humanistic
goals such as education rather than being an end in itself.  I'm kind of
frustrated with some of my colleagues in Philippine user groups who just
geeks around with the technology.  The only goal some have in mind is
related
to business... which is not necessarily bad in itself but there's more
in life that Linux-based computing technology can help enhance
(or at least that's what I think).

Another humanistic goal which I can think of is developing a real time
Linux-based weather/seismologic (did I get that right?) prediction
system.
 It's a fantasy project of mine that keeps playing around in my head for
quite some time now.  I would like to think that it can help improve my
country's batting average in disaster preparedness.

Well that's the only info I'm willing to let go about myself.

-Resmon L. Gonzalez
 lares@portalinc.com
 Philippines